Thursday, June 26, 2014

World Cup Watch Party - USA vs Germany

Our interest in the World Cup has continued to increase through the years ... in large part because of our relationship with friends in Bietigheim-Bissingen, Germany.  So what better way to watch the USA vs. Germany game than to visit Chicago's Hofbrauhaus?

It was exciting to watch the game with a mixed room of both American and German fans.  While I cheered for the USA, I realized while I was watching that - because of the exchange with the Musikschule in Bietigheim-Bissingen - I actually know many more of the German players than the American ones.  I also realized today  ... when I went into my closet to see if I had a USA soccer shirt ... that I have five German jerseys, and not a single USA jersey.  Again, a byproduct of the exchange.

In the end, I think the correct result happened today.  Germany looked to be the better team (at least today).  They won the group, and advance to the next stage.  But the USA also deserved to advance to the next stage ... and even with the 0 - 1 loss today, they have.  It will be fun to continue following the World Cup, as a family, over the next two weeks.