Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Tying a bow on my final DGN Music Tour

The first of these two images is a 12-year old me, walking along Hadrian’s Wall, which stretches 73 miles across the border between England and Scotland. Built to guard the wild north-west frontier of the Roman Empire, I visited the wall on my very first trip to England. Why was I in England? My father, who was a professor of Education, had planned a trip for his students (who were studying to be teachers themselves) to observe British schools and learn about their instructional practices. I was lucky enough to tag-along. That experience was impactful for me in ways I was far too young to understand at the time. I do remember visiting one of the British school yards, and playing football (soccer) with school children who were perhaps 7 or 8 years old. I was an unknown kid from America who knew how to juggle a football with his feet ... which comically made me an instant celebrity. (I remember being asked to sign autographs, which was so unexpected and hilarious!) 

I caught the "travel bug" on that first trip to England, as a 12-year old. Over the years I have really come to appreciate that when we travel we learn so much about humanity. We connect with the world in profound ways that cannot be experienced through video or even literature. I have so enjoyed the opportunity to pass these kinds of experiences on to my students over the years, as do so many of my colleagues in Music Education. If my rough math is correct, I believe I’ve traveled around the world with (conservatively) 3,500 DGN students during 22 organized one or two week tours. 


During that first visit to England as a child, I met Mr. Stuart Copeman. Mr. Copeman was a school teacher and administrator, and had been my father's contact point in England. He became like an uncle to me during that journey, and really looked after my well-being. I was fascinated with his use of the English language and his British dialect. A number of years later, Mr. Copeman visited my father in the United States and it was great fun to show him around Missouri, where I was growing up. 

The person in the second picture is ... you guessed it ... Mr. Stuart Copeman. He traveled to London this week to walk along side me in the New Year's Day Parade. Can you believe it?! It's quite impossible to describe what a "full circle" moment that was for me. 40+ years after meeting this wonderful person - who ties back to my own father who was a teacher that traveled with his students - I was marching the streets of London one last time with my own students ... and Mr. Copeman at my side. Pretty emotional experience, I have to admit. 

And with that it's time to tie a bow on my final DGN Tour, get on the coach bus one last time, and head for home. Thanks Stuart. Thanks Dad. See you soon, Downers Grove.

-BT